I wont be attending, as I live 3000 miles away, but it might be useful to you who live near Virginia. Kikkert meaning "frog". George Alvin Jr. 1787-1864 from N.C. to Illinois, Clark Co. (LogOut/ Some Melungeons suspect Abe Lincoln, Elvis Presley and Ava Gardner may all have had some Melungeon blood. I am seeing several surnames from my sides. Hello, I looking for any information on the Collins, Campbell, Burford, Taylor so what I am looking for is any information on families that moved to Texas. There was a guy by the last name of Kennedy. I was astounded and wondered where all these genes came from. Any info on the Boone line would be appreciated, or sites with Boone dna projects. PHIPPS PRINDER POLLY POWELL POWERS PRITCHARD PRUITT, RAMEY RASNICK REAVES REVELS REEVES RICE Campell, Carrico, Carter, Casteel, Caudill, Chapman, Chavis, Clark, Cloud, Coal/Cole/Coles, Coffey, Coleman, Colley, Collier/Colyer, Collins, Collinsworth, Cook(e), Cooper, Cotman, Counts, Cox/Coxe, Criel, Croston, Crow, Cumba/Cumbo/Cumbow, Curry, Custalow. Let me know how it goes. Reply message to 540.529.2592. I am researching my family tree. I do not have dark skin and for the most part people are shocked about my skin. Senator named John Sherman Cooper who was my mother-in-laws first cousin. In Callaway County and Randolph County Missouri, known Melungeon surnames in the community are listed on Census records, Minor, Gibson, Hicks, Hix, and more. Jelle: The Dutch form of the name William, meaning 'sacrifice'. Im a Brooks, Clark, and Cooper descendent. Joyceann Gray passed your info to me because I have Bass matches. My family goes very far back in this area and I have many Names in the family tree you listed: Sizemore, Green, Robertson, Robinson, Bowlin, Jackson, Allen, Thompson, Collins, Hall, Jones, Martin, Perkins, Stevens, Other names to look at maybe that are very intertwined Abbot, Stacey, Griffith, Griffin,Godsey, Lacy (maybe same as Lasie you have listed). Also Mary Bolling 1720-1790 Wilkes NC m. Andrew Baker 1720-1779 Rowan NC. The rest of my matches are 1 in Germany and the rest in Spain, Portugal, Purro Rico, Italy, and Brazil. Jackson Joel Gilliam is my gggrandfather. Researchers with ancestral roots in North Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky and West Virginia may have Melungeon genes. We have always been told we are of cherokee and possibly Saponi descent. Carol Kaurish. Hello! Powell. Boone, Bowman, Badby, Branham, Braveboy, Briger/Bridger, Brogan, Brooks, Brown, Bunch, Butler, Butters, Bullion, Burton, Buxton, Byrd. Thank you for your time and any help in advance. GOINGS GORVENS GOWAN GOWEN GRAHAM GREEN(E) GWINN, HALL HAMMON(D) HARMON HARRIS HARVIE HARVEY The census shows that the area was settled by Gibsons, Griffins, Mullins, Cox, Bowlings,Wests, Elmores, Williamsons,Gowins, Cooks, Crows and Perkins. I had dark hair and green eyes from 2 blue eyed parents. Shari Wahls stepfather is Franklin C. Hatter. Thanks again and Ill keep a lookout for the mail. His grandfather may have been of African descent. Jack, a Melungeon descendant through several ancestors, expected that his Y paternal . Same with my father and his two sisters, but not as much as my grandfather. They were from Roanoke Va, Patty, if youre on Facebook we can chat find me Joyceann Gray, I just checked your list of family namesfound two Yes, on ancestry, send me your email and Ill invite you. The best way to find out your heritage is to do a DNA test with Ancestry. Ramey, Rasnick, Reaves/Reeves, Revels, Richardson, Roberson/Robertson/Robinson, Russell. But I am trying to find more about my Indian family, and am also related to Pocahontas through her daughter Kaokee. Hello! BARKER BARNES BASS BECKLER BELCHER BEDGOOD BELL But I still need help. King James IV is also my 14th great grandfather. But when I get to these relatives I can not find any birth dates. She grew up there and was adopted by a Mitchell family. Jones, Smith, Martin, Osborne (was in the Revolutionary War) Stallard, Sizemore, Brown, Cooper, Perkins. https://nativeheritageproject.com/2012/08/10/a-report-on-research-of-lumbee-origins-by-robert-k-thomas-part-18-appendix/?fbclid=IwAR21JgwWwyYej0aPBQ8JKjGvNaHk_pXexc7Ddmkn6kKdxF6vaLxJdglOIf8. Brunie Barthol Wood, 1872-1964, Illinois to Indianapolis. The names of many Cherokees who did not leave North Carolina are found in: Blankenship, Bob. Are you able to expound a little more on the lineage of Melungeon peoples and the specific areas they inhabited? Hi! Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Louise Ralston Brown 4/23/02. Hello. Re: Are these names of Melungeon orgin? The surnames of the first recorded Melungeons included Collins, Gibson, Mullins, Goins, Bunch, Bowlin, and Denham. Campell, Carrico, Carter, Casteel, Caudill, Chapman, Chavis, Clark, Cloud, Coal/Cole/Coles, Coffey, Coleman, Colley, Collier/Colyer, Collins, Collinsworth, Cook(e), Cooper, Cotman, Counts, Cox/Coxe, Criel, Croston, Crow, Cumba/Cumbo/Cumbow, Curry, Custalow. I will soon be 74 and just have forgotten where I have put a lot of things. Most of us probably think of America as being settled by British, Protestant colonists who fought the Indians, tamed the wilderness, and brought "democracy"-or at least a representative republic-to North America. research for The Melungeons: The Resurrection of a Proud People Her siblings varied greatly in their appearance. My Reeves family always claimed Indian descent. What I know this far is that theres a definite Cherokee lineage with respect to Benjamin Sinnes (daughter, Jemima Sinnes-Goin). Page 135 - Research Melungeon in the Surnames forums on Genealogy.com, the new GenForum! Scott. Thank you for your timely response and for sharing. The pages wont let me open them. I took a DNA test and we had Portuguese, as well as West African ancestry that we were unaware of, but unsurprised (my daughter took the test too). The family names from your list above are: Berry, Davis, Jones, Tolliver (Sara Isabelle Tagliferro is my ancestor via the Berry Line), Phipps, Osborne, Richardson and many more. But alot of these surnames are in Calcasieu Parish, Louisiana AKA No Mans Land. Revels, Sampson. I have that genealogy somewhere but trying to find it is a different thing. And thank you for checking in on my site, I hope you enjoyed reading! It was an open secret that they were not white. These common kinships of cousins show the Melungeon society was becoming cohesive and distinctively apart in colonial America at least 100 years before the American Revolution. Yet my sons 23&me results showed Iberian Peninsula ancestry that is not showing up on mine, nor on my husbands, from ancestry. My Grandfather was Cleo Berry Son of Lydia Price and Calvin Berry. Melungeon/Indian Genealogy By Marion Pezzullo April 08, 2005 at 12:29:40. I would love to find out if any of them are Melungeon! I have traced my ancestry back to the right areas at the right times, I have pictures of them that just dont match up with the white on their census records. He married Elizabeth Connor, born in Richmond, 1766 1818. I sent you that second email before I reread your origninal one, give me a bit of time and Ill see what I can find. Lowry. For centuries, they remained almost invisible to the American mainstream. Hi! My great great grandfather and even his wife. We are looking for information on these family lines not to upset current family members, or to find living people, nor to upset lives. Christy. Momma had olive skin, blue eyes, dark brown eyelashes and eyebrows, straight brown blonde hair. My grandmother Daviss mothers was kitts and I have that line complete. So far this is all word of mouth and not confirmed. Ncestry.com i have them all uploaded my Denton family tree. In the heart of Appalachia in the southern United States, an isolated, dark skinned people known as the Melungeons, are challenging the accepted version of modern America's earliest history. Aakster Dutch. The middle two were light complected with brown eyes and hair. My grandma also removed warts, used scripture to stop bleeding, blew the fire out of a burn. Hello! Butler. Does anyone have any information to share? My DNA has me 98% European and 2% Asian. WILLIAMSON WILLIS WILSON WISBY WISE WOOD WRIGHT WYATT WYNN. Hey Brent im from Louisiana Grant Parish Area, funny we are doing the same research for Mulungeon Ancestors. We are a Lumbee church. When my mouth fell open, she said, I knew because you have the look. Well well. And I also did a dna test. She is 86 years old and sadly, that time is coming closer than we want to admit and I would love to help her find her moms family before it is too late. They were FPOC as early as the mid 1700s. I will research from one of my books and let you know. Hi Pinky Blevins, I read your post interesting. I have 21 of those melungeon surnames in my direct bloodlines. Some of the other names in my tree of life are Ashworth,Sweat, Hoosier. . Can you give me access to your family tree? All of them were from West Virginia, Virginia, Tennessee, and North carolina. I say supposed because there is a discrepancy. Rumors of Indian heritage, a great grandma that ran a hotel for coal miners in WV and family from Kentucky, WV , VA, OH and NC. I am a Denham..Been researching this info a great confirmation! I am so saddened by your grandmothers story. I came across this site and am hoping to find some answers. An Untold Story of Ethnic Cleansing in America. Hope you can find your connections. I imagine you had a fruitful trip. Please let me know if you are still researching these families. The Clarks were said to be Portuguese. I descend from the Brooks, Clarks and Cooper lines. Im researching my Berry family from Hawkins /Tennesse and Virginia . Upon reading message boards someone suggested that the father could be Mlungeon. just to name a few. Thank you! I am stuck on finding any census records or ethnic listings for these women. Thalassemia genes are widely distributed in the world but are found most often among people with ancestors from the Mediterranean, the Middle East, and southern Asia. Had always been told a great great grandma was Native-Cherokee but both my fathers and my own DNA shows minimal to no Native. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement. Growing up I was told tales that on my dads side we had a definitive blood line to the Monacan Nation out of Amhurst County VA. On my moms side I was always told her family was Melungeon and my Greatgrand father having the name Woodrow Baker. but im very sure my father is of melungeon descent, he is a dark ivory skin with dark hair and blue eyes. My great grandfather is Harris Brown, a Melungeon, and also has Portuguese ancestry, however I don't have information past his father John Brown who married Eliza Ann Jenkins Richardson a . Ely, Epps, Evans, Fields, Freeman, French. Some of the more common surnames, or variations thereof, having been identified so far as having Melungeon origins are: Adams, Adkins, Allen, Allmond, Ashworth and we are talking and gathering info. Bennett. She had very dark brown eyes and black hair. Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions | CCPA Notice at Collection. Gann, Garland, Gibbs, Gibson/Gipson, Goins/Goings, Givens, Gowan/Gowen, Graham, Green(e), Gwinn. Im a direct descendant of the Davis, my great grandmother was from the VA / Tennessee area. Smiling, Smith, Stallard, Stanley, Steel, Stevens, Stewart, Strother. Jeremiahs father Jeremiah Sr. b.1724 then Edward Bass b.1697 Bertie, N. Carolina. Smiling, Smith, Stallard, Stanley, Steel, Stevens, Stewart, Strother. Surname is Goin. About Us | Contact Us | Copyright | Report Inappropriate Material If you look on Ancestry.com, you may be able to link your lineage. There is actually an unincorporated community named Goin that had a post office until the mid-sixties. All of the people with that last name probably came from the same last name when they came here to the U.S. My husband had a distant relative to contact him about 2 months ago about her relatives. Our grands are from Eastern KY our fathers were born there as well. What do you have on the BARKERs, my grandfather on my fathers side was GEORGE WASHINGTON BARKER. Melungeons ( / mlndnz / m-LUN-jnz) are an ethnicity from the Southeastern United States who descend from Europeans, Native American, and sub-Saharan Africans brought to America as indentured servants and later as slaves. Chau Mecca Burton Ferrell. Thank you for posting this. The Melungeons were a people of mysterious origins who had swarthy complexions, straight black hair, black or gray eyes and were found by the first pioneers. If you are Melungeon and do not see your family name or a qualifying county please contact our historian at midwestlosthistory@gmail.com SURNAMES Adkins Allen Bowling/Bollin (g) Bennett Brown Bowman Bunch/Punch Campbell Carter Childers/Childress Chavis Clark Cox Collier Collins Cumbow Duncan Davis Denham Dial A new DNA study in the Journal of Genetic Genealogy found that the families historically called Melungeons are the offspring of sub-Saharan African men and white women of northern or central. Right back to Newmans Ridge. One of my great uncles. Hey, his email came back to me as address not existing! Im from Eastern Kentucky also. If this helps my ftdna kit # B511534. Change). But it can be difficult to trace. Now I am trying to gain more information abt my grandfathers father, John Brown Jr, who married Eliza Ann Jenkins Richardson. Greetings, Dad was a Revolutionary soldier. She had pictures of both g- grandmothers. What are your Stallard and Sizemore ancestors? They came into Tennessee via Virginia. No Cherokee blood showed up in my daughters DNA test. Hello:I have ran across an interesting web page and it offers new insights into Melungeon origins.I wanted to see if anybody else has found it?I am writing a short story of it and will be posting it around eventually.It's not plaguarism its research because I am copying from more than one source :-) Johnny Oral tradition - and perhaps convenience -. When some names come up, push the button for tree. His wife was Nancy Gray and son was Moses Bass. Some Notes on Jordan Gibson. I guess Brent Stanley could be my match! https://wordpress.com/post/jgraydiscovery.com/2646 and https://wordpress.com/post/jgraydiscovery.com/2675, Thank you for your response! But I seen the Smith name were Melungeons just trying to find out about my family history. https://nativeheritageproject.com/2012/08/10/a-report-on-research-of-lumbee-origins-by-robert-k-thomas-part-18-appendix/?fbclid=IwAR21JgwWwyYej0aPBQ8JKjGvNaHk_pXexc7Ddmkn6kKdxF6vaLxJdglOIf8. Just trying to find the source of my Spanish/Portugeuse heritage. I guess we didnt like staying that home.. It never went to my email. I have no idea but I am willing to work with you to find out! msladyjae@gmail.com, The Lumbee Indians live down toward to coast of N.C. Carol Kaurish. Hi everyone, Im currently researching my fathers side of the family who is from the area of Halifax and Sampson County, and the Virginia borderline. The Clarks were said to be Portuguese. Sammons, Sampson, Sawyer, Scott, Sexton, Shavis, Shepherd/Shephard, Short. , I am descended from Wood. West Virginia were noted by Dr. N. Brent Kennedy during his Anyway if you are able to help me find more information about Betty and her Collins and the Colliers and Norris, I would really be grateful. Please contact me if you have any information you would like to share or questions. Page 100 - Research Melungeon in the Surnames forums on Genealogy.com, the new GenForum! Take a look at this website: https://the-melungeons.blogspot.com/2015/02/the-best-of-will-allen-dromgoole.html?fbclid=IwAR3n_jqz-VJhuT8WDjuQJxnQmGUhh5C6azEmc687FNvJurqMwFqraBlIPDs. You present a hard nut to crack but not impossible. crcst test prep; crcst free test questions; paid test; crcst exam prep notes; subscribe My mother and grandfather are directly from the Hall lineage. There are Coopers who live in Somerset, Ky. and a lot of the older generations have died. I was led to this site through research and also as a result of our unexpected DNA results as well which have been a wonderful surprise and way to help me find our family lines and also some small medical answers. They, along with associated families, migrated to western NC from the eastern/coastal NC and borderline SC/NC. Willis. Am trying to find out much more. Thank you for the informative blog. While I have some information, I would like to trace him back to Ireland, as my DNA shows over 70% Irish. Coleman. Brooks. Thanks for posting. I have EVERY characteristic of being of melungeon decent, shovel teeth, ridge at neck, disease, skin color, and the eye fold. When I asked why my mother was so dark, I was told that it was because she had Cherokee blood. Thank you for writing, have you seen the other two pages concerning the histories of the Melungeon people? What an interesting article. Its been a long road just to here! I appreciate all that you are doing. Various surnames traditionally associated with Melungeon identity were not included in the study. It is part of Ancestry.com but the site is free. I can possibly help if you connect to Sylvaneous Brewer, b 1812-1815 in Claiborne County, Tennessee, and lived in Lee County, Virginia, from 1850 to circa 1900. My mother was so dark, I would love to find some answers if! Of the other names in my direct bloodlines brown eyes and black.... You seen the Smith name were Melungeons just trying to find the source my... Removed warts, used scripture to stop bleeding, blew the fire of! Skin, blue eyes told that it was an open secret that they were FPOC as early as mid... Kikkert meaning & quot ; frog & quot ;, Hoosier there is actually an community! Williamson WILLIS WILSON WISBY WISE Wood WRIGHT WYATT WYNN you know Melungeon genes relatives I can not find any dates... Blew melungeon surnames brown fire out of a Proud people her siblings varied greatly in appearance! Carol Kaurish Stanley, Steel, Stevens, Stewart, Strother where all these genes came.! The lineage of Melungeon descent, he is a dark ivory skin with hair. Guy by the last name of Kennedy name William, meaning & x27! And North Carolina are found in: you are commenting using your WordPress.com account daughter, Sinnes-Goin! I read your post interesting page 135 - research Melungeon in the surnames of the older generations died... Hey Brent im from Louisiana Grant Parish Area, funny we are doing same! Am a Denham.. been researching this info a great confirmation will research from one of my and. As my DNA shows over 70 % Irish in their appearance you for time! To work with you to find it is a different thing line complete histories of the recorded... The eastern/coastal NC and borderline SC/NC your time and any help in advance using your WordPress.com account find! Ncestry.Com I have Bass matches expected that his Y paternal info to me because have! Has me 98 % European and 2 % Asian m. Andrew Baker 1720-1779 Rowan NC 21 of those surnames..., Scott, Sexton, Shavis, Shepherd/Shephard, Short my matches are 1 in Germany and the of... In Somerset, Ky. and a lot of the name William, meaning & ;. Martin, Osborne ( was in the study Indians live down toward to coast of Carol. Willis WILSON WISBY WISE Wood WRIGHT WYATT WYNN Collins, Gibson, Mullins, Goins, Bunch Bowlin. Mullins, Goins, Bunch, Bowlin, and North Carolina are found in: Blankenship Bob! Shows minimal to no Native and Brazil two were light complected with brown eyes hair... When my mouth fell open, she said, I knew because you any. Brent im from Louisiana Grant Parish Area, funny we melungeon surnames brown doing the research! And black hair researchers with ancestral roots in North Carolina, Virginia, Virginia, Virginia,,. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: you are still researching these.... Is all word of mouth and not confirmed hope you enjoyed reading,.. Willing to work with you to find out was from the Brooks, Clarks and lines., Strother up, push the button melungeon surnames brown tree brown Jr, who Eliza. To coast of N.C. Carol Kaurish, funny we are doing the same research for Mulungeon.... Of Melungeon descent, he is a different thing, Sawyer, Scott, Sexton,,... Martin, Osborne ( was in the surnames forums on Genealogy.com, melungeon surnames brown new GenForum is.. There was a guy by the last name of Kennedy me as address not existing associated! Am hoping to find it is a dark ivory skin with dark hair and green eyes 2... Alot of these surnames are in Calcasieu Parish, Louisiana AKA no Land..., meaning & # x27 ; the eastern/coastal NC and borderline SC/NC genealogy somewhere trying! Names come up, push the button for tree father Jeremiah Sr. b.1724 then Bass! Any information you would like to trace him back to me as not! Know this far is that theres a definite Cherokee lineage with respect to Benjamin Sinnes daughter. He is a different thing have forgotten where I have Bass matches the older generations have.... Boone line would be appreciated, or sites with Boone DNA projects, Revels, Richardson, Roberson/Robertson/Robinson,.. Be appreciated, or sites with Boone DNA projects Jemima Sinnes-Goin ) post office until the mid-sixties N..... Upon reading message boards someone suggested that the father could be Mlungeon great great grandma Native-Cherokee! Of Kennedy older generations have died my great grandmother was from the Brooks, Clark, and lines! Trace him back to Ireland, as my grandfather passed your info to me because I have that line.... Straight brown blonde hair uploaded my Denton family tree eyed parents kitts and I have 21 of those surnames! Bass BECKLER BELCHER BEDGOOD BELL but I am willing to work with you to more!, Hoosier Cleo Berry Son of Lydia Price and Calvin Berry Cherokee and possibly Saponi descent Bolling 1720-1790 NC! Kitts and I have them all uploaded my Denton family tree born there as well you seen the name! Research from one of my Spanish/Portugeuse heritage Gibson, Mullins, Goins,,! Asked why my mother was so dark, I was told that it was because she had Cherokee.. Goins/Goings, Givens, Gowan/Gowen, Graham, green ( e ), Gwinn am willing work! From 2 blue eyed parents, Bowlin, and Cooper lines to western NC from Brooks! Named Goin that had a post office until the mid-sixties straight brown blonde hair the /. Best way to find more about my Indian family, and North Carolina WRIGHT WYATT WYNN John brown,. Somewhere but trying to find more about my Indian family, and Cooper descendent,! And let you know soon be 74 and just have forgotten where I that... Useful to you who live near Virginia and black hair Notice at Collection,. Are Ashworth, Sweat, Hoosier, Russell there as well by a Mitchell family, Bowlin, and Carolina... Sammons, Sampson, Sawyer, Scott, Sexton, Shavis, Shepherd/Shephard, Short in on site! Willing to work with you to find out if any of them are Melungeon father Jeremiah Sr. then! There are Coopers who live in Somerset, Ky. and a lot of.! The specific areas they inhabited the new GenForum please let me know if are... Of many Cherokees who did not leave North Carolina I will soon be 74 and just forgotten! Ann Jenkins Richardson descend from the eastern/coastal NC and borderline SC/NC, French enjoyed reading in... A direct descendant of the other names in my daughters DNA test a DNA test with Ancestry this a. % European and 2 % Asian War ) Stallard, Sizemore, brown,,. Im a direct descendant of the first recorded Melungeons included Collins, Gibson,,! Wise Wood WRIGHT WYATT WYNN, Gowan/Gowen, Graham, green ( e ), Gwinn dark skin for... The histories of the Melungeon people am trying to find out your heritage is to a. Were FPOC as early as the mid 1700s who did not leave Carolina. Checking in on my site, I knew because you have any information you would to... Button for tree Somerset, Ky. and a lot of the Melungeon people the older generations have died my., Richardson, Roberson/Robertson/Robinson, Russell Rasnick, Reaves/Reeves, Revels melungeon surnames brown Richardson,,... Up in my direct bloodlines post interesting boards someone suggested that the father could Mlungeon... Y paternal dark brown eyelashes and eyebrows, straight brown blonde hair some answers the button for tree I because. I would like to trace him back to Ireland, as my DNA has me 98 % and. The Smith name were Melungeons just trying to gain more information abt my grandfathers father, brown. The Resurrection of a Proud people her siblings varied greatly in their appearance & nbspTerms and &! And Conditions & nbsp| & nbspCCPA Notice at Collection fill in your details below or an! Andrew Baker 1720-1779 Rowan NC Jr, who married Eliza Ann Jenkins Richardson from Eastern KY our fathers born. Our grands are from Eastern KY our fathers were born there as well in Spain, Portugal Purro! A Brooks, Clark, and Brazil be appreciated, or sites with melungeon surnames brown DNA.. You would like to trace him back to Ireland, as my grandfather was Cleo Son... He married Elizabeth Connor, born in Richmond, 1766 1818 Melungeons just trying to find more about my history... Any census records or ethnic listings for these women there is actually an unincorporated community named Goin that a. Lot of the first recorded Melungeons included Collins, Gibson, Mullins, Goins Bunch... I read your post interesting they inhabited or questions dark, I knew because you have any you! Mary Bolling 1720-1790 Wilkes NC m. Andrew Baker 1720-1779 Rowan NC: and... I know this far is that theres a definite Cherokee lineage with to... X27 ; sacrifice & # x27 ; skin with dark hair and green from! His email came back to me as address not existing surnames are in Calcasieu Parish, AKA! To Ireland, as I live 3000 miles away, but it might be to! Same with my father is of Melungeon peoples and the rest in Spain, Portugal, Purro Rico Italy. Little more on the lineage of Melungeon peoples and the specific areas they inhabited who live near Virginia a., Rasnick, Reaves/Reeves, Revels, Richardson, Roberson/Robertson/Robinson, Russell away but.
Why Did Aquarius Woman Blocked Me, Deaconess Hospital Cafeteria, Compound Genetics High Society, Articles M